Christmas is a great time of year for all the family, dogs included, but it can also be a dangerous time of year for our beloved furry family members. From toxic foods to dangerous toys there are an array of hazards we need to be aware of!
You will probably already know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs but did you know the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it can be. Be mindful of where you put the chocolate decorations on the Christmas tree.
Raisins, grapes and macadamia nuts are all poisonous to dogs so keep Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and mince pies firmly off your pet’s menu. Some dogs exhibit no effects whereas other can experience kidney failure after as little as three raisins.
Beware of leftover turkey carcasses – cooked bone shards could result in a real surgical emergency.
We tend to use much more alcohol in our cooking at this time of year and alcohol is intoxicating for dogs and can cause unpleasant side effects.
There’s a vast array of Christmas dog toys on the market, but unfortunately not all are safe for our beloved pets. Beware of toys that are too small and easy to swallow or those that can easily be torn apart.
"Did you know raisins, grapes and macadamia nuts are all poisonous to dogs." Happy Dog
If your dog does get into mischief this Christmas and consumes anything you know or even suspect to be hazardous to their health then it goes without saying, you must contact your vet immediately. Even if your vets are closed, there will always be an out of hour’s service. The quicker treatment is sought the easier and more successful it can be.
Pet Poisons to be aware of this Christmas